The medial collateral ligament (MCL) is a broad, thick band that runs on the inner portion of the knee. It stabilizes the medial portion of the knee joint and prevents the knee/leg from over extending inward and minimizes the rotation of the knee.
The MCL is firmly attached to the medial meniscus and the knee capsule. Due to the relationship between them, when the MCL tears it will damage the medial meniscus, thus the two conditions can appear together.
Injury Can Come from Two Main Conditions:
- Trauma – such as a kick to the medial portion of the knee.
- Over twisting of the knee – twisting beyond the protective mechanism of the MCL.
Symptoms of a MCL tear are graded:
- Grade One:
- Less than 10% of the MCL is torn.
- Some tenderness – mostly when applying pressure to the knee, such as a bed sheet laying on the knee.
- No other symptoms.
- Grade Two:
- Increased amount of fiber damage to the MCL.
- More intense pain and tenderness.
- Minor issues with stability.
- Minor swelling and bruising.
- Grade Three:
- Complete tear of MCL
- Major swelling and bruising.
- Unable to bear weight.
- Knee giving away and complete instability.
- Possible tear of medial meniscus.
Acupuncture is very helpful in grade one and two. Due to the nature of the fibrous tissue, the healing process is slow and takes time.
Grade three requires surgery and acupuncture is beneficial in post-surgery rehab.
I approach treating your MCL tear to your presentation, which involves:
- Analyzing your posture – is your pelvis aligned with knees and ankles?
- Understanding how other factors such as the calf muscles, quad, hamstrings, hip and pelvic muscles can help your healing process.
- Muscle testing the muscles impacting the knee for weakness and pain.
- Improving your knee cap alignment.
- Targeting effected muscles, releasing motor points, trigger points and relaxing the fascia
Providing exercises to continue treatment success between acupuncture treatments.
Call (914) 572-5137 today or click here to schedule an appointment & learn more about how we can help you.