A hamstring injury is one of the most common injuries in sports. The hamstring comprises of three muscles that come from the sit bone and attaches to the tibia (the knee area). The hamstring helps to kick the leg back, bend the knee and slows the leg down before the foot hits the ground. This condition is common in athletes, such as runners, skaters, and football, soccer and basketball players.
Symptoms of the hamstring strain:
- Can be very mild pain in the beginning.
- Sudden onset of pain during exercise – maybe even a pop or snapping sensation.
- Pain in the back of the thigh or butt when walking, straightening the leg.
- Tenderness in the back of the thigh when touching.
What causes a hamstring strain?
- Lack of stretching before exercising.
- Your thighs are tight, pulling the pelvis forward causing the hamstring to be stretched and weak.
- Weak glutes.
- Sacroiliac joint instability and pelvis imbalance.
Acupuncture and moxa are an effective treatment for hamstring strain. When treating your strain, your treatment involves:
- Analyzing your posture
- Discussing potential lifestyle dynamics impacting your hip area and hamstring strength.
- Muscle testing the hamstring for weakness and pain
- Targeting effected muscles, releasing motor points, trigger points, using moxa and relaxing the fascia
- Providing exercises to continue treatment success between acupuncture treatments
Call (914) 572-5137 today or click here to schedule an appointment & learn more about how we can help you with your pain relief.