Research has shown acupuncture can do the following for headaches:
- Reduce or eliminate patterns of chronic headache conditions.
- Promoted the secretion of natural steroids and endorphins to decrease pain and inflammation.
- Improve the functional status of person in pain. Acupuncture was found to significantly improve the patient’s quality of life and allow them to participate in daily activities.
Types of Headaches:
Severity of pain does not indicate if it’s a migraine.
Most common in women. The root cause is unknown. Possible tightening and spasms in the shoulders, neck and skull muscles resulting in inflamed nerves.
- Symptoms: Tight shoulders and neck with the headache. A band of pressure around the head. Pressure in temples or over eyes. Pain is intense but doesn’t fully stop daily activities. Pain is usually bilateral and occurs without a pattern.
Second most common headache. Has a wide age range. Occurs mostly in women. Hormones, food, alcohol, chocolate and change in sleep patterns can some of the more familiar causes.
- Symptoms: Possible aura. Sharp intense pain behind one eye. Nausea. Vomiting. A desire to be in a dark room. Pain better with sleeping.
More common in men. Believed to be related to brain chemistry imbalances. Can be triggered by sleep issues, alcohol, smoking or food.
- Symptoms: Headaches that are intense and last for 30 to 60 minutes. Headaches occur with a pattern which disappears for a period of time then will reappear. Usually occur at the same time of the day. Pain can radiate into the eye. Headache can be accompanied by a feeling of restlessness, being unable to relax and wanting to pace.
Call (914) 572-5137 today or click here to schedule an appointment & learn more about how we can help you with your headache relief.